News

1211 0  tfmf welljd45q2q5dv45pvlnqh45 61981c4b 7c4f 4234 9234 c8e7f82393c3 0 photoup
  • News
  • January 20, 2014

Auto Insurance Rates Continue to Fall

Province Fighting Fraud and Reducing Rates

 

Auto Insurance Rates Continue to Fall

Province Fighting Fraud and Reducing Rates

 

NEWS

January 16, 2014

 

Ontario’s auto insurance rates have dropped a further 3.98 percent – for a total of 4.66 percent on average since August 2013. That progress is making auto insurance more affordable for Ontario drivers, and keeps the province on track for achieving the 15 per cent reduction by August 2015.

The decrease comes as Ontario continues to implement its Auto Insurance Cost and Rate Reduction Strategy. Introduced as part of the 2013 Ontario Budget, the strategy is targeting an average 15 per cent auto insurance rate reduction by August 2015 — with a target of an average eight per cent reduction by August 2014.

As part of the strategy, Ontario has recently introduced new initiatives to help reduce costs and uncertainty in the auto insurance system, including:

  • The province will "propose legislative amendments" in the spring session "based on"  recommendations of the Dispute Resolution System Review
  • Consulting on the development of a province-wide system to oversee the towing industry and reviewing vehicle storage and collision repair practices
  • Enabling health service provider licensing so that only licensed providers can get paid directly by insurers

Making auto insurance more affordable is part of the Ontario government’s plan to invest in people, build modern infrastructure and support a dynamic and innovative business climate.


QUOTE 

“Residents in Scarborough-Guildwood are starting to see real results as the Ontario government continues to implement our strategy to reduce auto insurance rates for Ontario’s nine million drivers. Our strategy aims to reduce auto insurance premiums by 15 per cent within next two years. These proactive measures by our government will help tackle fraud and reduce uncertainty in the system.”

— Mitzie Hunter, MPP for Scarborough-Guildwood


QUICK FACTS 

  • Once an insurer’s proposed rate change is approved by the regulator, drivers will see these new rates when their policies are renewed. Most policies are renewed annually.
  • Rate filings approved during the fourth quarter of 2013 declined on average by 3.98 per cent and during the third quarter of 2013 by 0.68 per cent, which together account for the 4.66 per cent reduction on average since August 2013.
  • To date, the government has taken action to address 18 of the 38 recommendations made by Ontario's Auto Insurance Anti-Fraud Task Force aimed at preventing fraud and helping protect consumers. 
  • A final report on the review of the Automobile Insurance Dispute Resolution System will be delivered by the end of February; this follows an interim report that was submitted to the government in October 2013.  The province will introduce legislation in the spring session to enact recommendations of the review.
  • Many insurers offer discounts for safe driving, such as: using winter tires, completing a recognized driver training course, being an experienced or mature driver, or being a good driver with no claims or convictions. Drivers should check with their insurance company, agent, or broker for possible discounts.
  • Drivers with questions about auto insurance in Ontario, including how rates are set, are encouraged to visit Financial Services Commission of Ontario’s (FSCO’s) website or call the 1-800-668-0128 for more information.
  • FSCO also has a dedicated hotline that consumers can use to report suspected cases of auto insurance fraud. Simple and fast, the hotline is accessible on FSCO’s website at www.fsco.gov.on.ca/TipNow, as well as by telephone at 1-855-5TIP-NOW.

FOR MEDIA INQUIRIES ONLY:

Ashma Patel, Community Outreach

(416) 281-2787


For public inquiries call 1-800-337-7222

(toll-free in Ontario only)

 

 

 

 

Attachments:

Pdf icon NR Auto Insurance - Mitzie Hunter, MPP

Keep in Mind...

This website is provided for your convenience. If you'd prefer to call or email, my staff and I would be happy to hear from you.

Top Stories